The FilterTec is a software-driven laboratory scale Normal Flow Filtration (NFF) system that automatically monitors, adjusts and documents pre-filter back pressure and permeate flow rate to optimize filtration speed, maximize filter throughput, and scientifically evaluate or compare different filters using calculations such as Vmax and total filter throughput. The automatic documentation and alarm/pump stop settings allow the user to focus on other tasks while the system is running.
The user-selectable alarms allow automatic stopping once a given filter back pressure or minimum filtrate flow rate is reached. When sold with SciDoc, documentation capabilities include 15 real-time filtration parameters such as: permeate flow rate, quantity, pressure, Vmax, etc… over time. The patented R/P stat mode has been proven to increase filter throughput up to 35% saving significant money on filters over time.
- Patented filtration method provides significant cost savings. This automated method results in a 30-50% increase in filter capacity utilization.
- Dedicated application tools for filterability testing and Vmax determination with automated data collection of up 15 filtration parameters.
- No need for manual data collection.
- The FilterTec is easy to use and has a small (6" x11") footprint.
Automated Normal Flow Filtration (NFF)
Laboratory Filtration, up to 4.0 liters/min
Documented Filtration Parameters
- Time: HH:MM:SS
- Elapsed Time
- Filtrate Weight (FQ)
- Nominal Pump Rate (FF)
- Filtrate Rate, Scale, (FP)
- Constant Rate Quantity (CPQ)
- Constant Pressure Quantity (CPQ)
- Inlet Pressure, Filter #1 (P1)
- Inlet Pressure, Filter #2 (P2)
- Inlet pressure, Filter #3 (P3)
- Time / Weight Ratio (T/W)
- Maximum Filtrate Volume, Vmax
- Filter Flux (LMH)
- Pump Direction (CW/CCW)
- HP= Hi Pressure
- LF= Lo Flow
- FW= Filtrate Weight
- The FilterTec utilizes a peristaltic pump head as well as a disposable pressure sensor (see SciLog's disposable sensors).
- A user-selected pump rate (or time-based rate ramp) is implemented until a user-defined pressure level is reached, e.g. 20 psi.
- At this point, the filter is substantially plugged-up, the FilterTec switches from a rate control to a pressure controlled fluid delivery.
- The FilterTec automatically maintained the selected pressure limit by modulating, i.e. decreasing, the pump output.
- When the pump output reaches a user-selected lower pump rate limit, e.g. 1 ml/min, the FilterTec safely stops the filtration process.
- The filtration progress is graphically shown above (chart 1). In this example, a Sartobran 300 was used to filter a diluted protein solution. Under the flow rate and pressure conditions shown, a filtrate volume of 1491 ml was collected during the constant pump rate interval. An additional 715 ml of filtrate was collected during the constant pressure (20psi) interval.
Automated Filter Capacity Determination, Vmax
Generates/documents Filtration Scale-up Data
- For Vmax determinations the FilterTec utilizes a pressure sensor and an electronic scale. The FilterTec rapidly ramps up the pump rate and maintains a user-selected pressure.
- The FilterTec collects and documents the filtrate weight. The parameter "Time/Filtrate Weight" is plotted against "Time". The inverse of the resulting slope represents Vmax.
- Up to 15 filtration parameters are monitored and documented during filtrate collection. (listed above)